Hello my fellows, my comrades, my peeps! I hope this Tuesday finds you happily typing away on your keyboards.
These past couple weeks have calmed enough for me to post what I’ve actually done.
But first! An announcement!:
Considering the amount of reading and extrapolating I have to do for this blog, and considering the amount of work that I have to do on my works-in-progress I decided to recruit a partner on this blog project of mine. My good friend Ali will be popping in and taking on some mentor posts of her own. Ali has more degrees than me, an attitude that has earned her the nickname ‘demon,’ and is a fantabulous writer. She’s got the pulse of contemporary fantasy authors down pat and has a Masters in English Lit. So she’s pretty well rounded. Keep an eye peeled for her upcoming posts!
I’m hoping this addition will keep the posting consistent and less scatter-shot.
And now…here’s what I’ve been up to the last couple weeks:
1. Drawing/sketching settings. I went out and bought a sketch book (this is laughable since I have no artistic skill whatsoever). Then I proceeded to go through and list the settings that I needed to know backwards and forwards – since my group pointed out they couldn’t tell where anything was…and yeah, I had people turning left when they should’ve gone right. My bad. This should fix it.
Part of my setting sketches went toward a new project which I’m also working on with Ali. It occurred to me that a setting sketch would be doubly important when you’re working with another writer. Not all rooms look the same to all people apparently. So we needed a base and I drew a rough one, sent it to Ali, and she had the grace not to laugh where I could hear.
Illustration 1: (Don’t laugh)
2. Outlining. There’s a great debate about outlining. But I have fallen on the side of outlining once I realized that an ‘outline’ did not mean this
A. Supporting Topic 1
1. support of supporting topic 1
2. further support of supporting topic 1
B. Supporting Topic 2
1. support of supporting topic 2
2. further support of supporting topic 2
C. Supporting Topic 3
1. support of supporting topic 3
2. further support of supporting topic 3
My outlining looks more like this (again, don’t laugh…and if you read too close you may or may not get spoilers…heaven knows what’ll stay).